A year ago, Bobst announced its intent to shape the future of the packaging world. The company has now delivered on its aims with the reveal of several new solutions to support its four cornerstones of connectivity, digitalisation, automation, and sustainability within packaging.
“We developed an ambitious vision and one year on, we are rolling out new solutions to help brand owners and converters to deliver better quality, efficiency, control, in a sustainable manner at a time when these qualities have never been more important,” Bobst Group CEO Jean-Pascal Bobst said.
The solutions include:
For the flexible packaging industry:
- VISION RS 5003 gravure press: A gravure press that delivers high quality printing at speeds up to 450 m/min on a wide range of flexible substrates. As Bobst found that converters are looking to improve their sustainability credentials while also looking for high-speed presses with automation features, it has revealed its VISION RS 5003. Automation solutions and smart trolleys make job preparation fast and easy, while the Total Automatic Pre-register Setting (TAPS) enables fast machine set-up and minimum waste independent of the press operator skills.
- oneBARRIER: A family of new alternative and sustainable substrates that Bobst is developing with its partners. One key project within oneBARRIER is focused on developing EVOH-free solutions for high barrier full mono material polyethylene (PE), whereby maximising the amount of PE, it provides a packaging structure that is recyclable and economical while ensuring exceptional barrier performances.
Future projects will be focussed on other mono material plastic solutions as well as developing alternative fiber-based paper packaging solutions, which will be easily recyclable.
- Siegwerk partnership for water-based inks: Bobst hasdeveloped water-based applications on its gravure presses, utilising Siegwerk’s new formulation water-based inks. The partnership with the ink manufacturer aims to provide ink formulas that have already set unprecedented performance and quality levels in gravure printing, and which have much lower VOC content than many current alternative water-based offerings on the market.
For the folding carton industry:
- EXPERTFOLD 110 A3 Version: the new multi-purpose EXPERTFOLD 110 A3 version features newly integrated modules for the dedicated production of crash-locks and four and six-corners, which simplifies and shortens settings when changing box types. This is said to reduce setup time during changeovers by as much as 80 per cent. The EXPERTFOLD 110 folder-gluer allows companies to produce cartons at speeds of up to 450 m/min, with very short makereadies and changeover times for maximum uptime.
- NOVAFOIL 106 Hot Foil Stamper: The first in-line foil stamping machine from Bobst featuring a cross-foiling section, the new NOVAFOIL 106 Hot Foil Stamper provides efficient, versatile and cost-effective multi-colour foiling that enables quick setups and changeovers. This machine can also be used for embossing, debossing, hologram application and die-cutting.
- ACCUREGISTER: Anew version of Bobst’s optical cut-to-print register, which will be available on the NOVACUT 106 range. It aims to reduce setting times and feed related stops, boosting productivity and delivering outstanding blank register quality. New features include integration into the Bobst Helpline for quick and efficient support including human-machine interface (HMI) integration to offer best ergonomics for the operator.
- SETUP TIME REDUCTION Pack for the BOBST 106 size die-cutter: Features include a new 15-inch screen at the feeder for faster setup procedure of Bobst’s optical registration systems, automatic pallet lifting within the feeder for each new job setup, and improved HMI ergonomics, such as an easier process for automatic non-stop grids. The Pack also includes TooLink, the new automatic machine and tool connection, including Recipe Management.
- Digital Inspection Table – Folding Carton 106: An advanced digital solution suitable for format size 106, the solution is a smart digital device that compares the production results with the client’s original PDF. It actively monitors all points of the production process, from printing through embellishment and cutting including inspection of braille and embossing. An additional camera digitises patching sheets, so that they can be redone more easily in case of damage or loss.
For the corrugated board industry:
- MASTERCUT 1.65: A machine especially designed for litho-laminated converting – and handles carton and corrugated board as well as litho-laminate. Combining the advantages of folding carton and corrugated board flatbed die-cutters, it can process robust and delicate materials equally well, going from 300g solid board to BC double wall litho lam. Its ergonomics with automation and accessibility, as well as a completely intuitive HMI SPHERE also allow for fast and easy handling for maximum productivity.
- SPEEDPACK: Available on the EXPERTFOLD 145/165, the EXPERTFOLD 170-350 and the MASTERFOLD 170-350m, the SPEEDPACK automatic packer features high numbers of batches per hour and very short set-up times. Folded and glued boxes are automatically counted, stacked and banded, and perfectly formed bundles are delivered, ready for palletisation.
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to the Sprinter newsletter